What: "Play It By Ear!" - Intervention for children with hearing loss to develop spoken language. Presented by Teresa H. Caraway, Ph.D., CCCSLP, LSLS Cert. AVT, Joanna T. Smith, MS, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT, and Jace Wolf, Ph.D., CCC-A from Hearts for Hearing in Oklahoma City, OK will present on the following topics:
- Protocol for audiological management of children with hearing loss
- Fitting hearing aids (as young as 2 weeks of age) bilateral cochlear implantation, children with auditory dysynchrony and other complications
- Strategies and intervention techniques to develop auditory skills from detection to conservation
- Videotape segments to demonstrate strategies at various auditory skill levels (babies through preschoolers)
- Using children's literature to facilitate development of conversational abilities (this is probably why Miss Becky has us read 10 books a day to Aiden! SMILES!)
- How to facilitate auditory skill development and spoken language development to help children with hearing loss become engaging conversationalists
When: Thursday, Sept 18 from 8am to 4pm and Friday, Sept. 19 from 8am to 3:30 pm (if you can only come for part of the time, that is just fine!)
Who: For more information and a registration form, contact Becky Clem, MA, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT, Rehab Education Coordinator and Project Coordinator for First Sounds-First Words by emailing email@example.com.
Remember mom and dad, this is FREE to parents (but you do have to contact Becky to register)! What a better way to learn how to help our children succeed than through a FREE seminar given by known professionals! Encourage your whole team (ECI therapists, SLPs, audiologists) to attend too! Miss Becky is one of Aiden's AVT's and is just absolutely amazing! She is always finding ways to help parents help their deaf/hard of hearing children succeed! This is just one of many workshops she has helped coordinate for our local families and professionals. We are very lucky to have her in our community! Hope you can make it!