Saturday, April 11, 2009

Repositioning Surgery

Aiden's repositioning surgery went great yesterday. We were up at Hopkins by 5:30am and home by 12 pm. We played in the waiting room for about an hour before they finally called us back to preop.

Dr. Niparko came back, discussed how he planned to reposition the implant, and before I knew it, it was time to walk Aiden back to the OR. This was the hardest part. I knew this surgery was not near as invasive as the first, but there's something about having to hand your baby over. I knew I was handing him over into great hands though. I have nothing but admiration for Dr. Niparko and the miracles he provides. We feel very blessed to have him for Aiden's surgeon and feel so secure with him. Everytime I see him, I still can't believe that we're here and that he is Aiden's surgeon.

After two hours, he came out and said everything went great. It took a bit longer than expected, but said he worked extra slow as to hopefully get that lifelong fit and not just a five year fix. He didn't have to mess with the electrodes at all, which was one risk of the surgery, having to insert a whole new implant in case a cord was accidentally nicked.

When I went back to post op, Aiden was drinking a bottle, smiled at me, and within fifteen minutes was blowing his raspberries and flirting with the nurses. Definitely a lot better this time coming out of anesthetic than last. By 5pm last night he had torn the bandage off and was back to Aiden - all over into everything.

Now that the bandage is off we can see how Dr. Niparko did a wonderful job repositioning the implant. It barely protrudes and is set higher, more up and away from the ear. He told me we could put the coil back on by early next week and start him over on program one. Aiden's wearing the whole processor on his shoulder right now anyway, so it won't bother the incision at all. Once he heals a bit more, I'll post before and after pictures showing the difference.


Danielle said...

So happy to read good news this morning. I am glad everything went great. Cant wait to see next week post.Best of Luck.


Michelle said...

He's so cute! What a little trooper. :)

Bill and Shelly said...

So glad everything went so well.

Landon's Mom said...

With everything going on with Bella I haven't been able to check my blogs in the last few days. WOW!! I'm sorry he had to go through surgery again but I'm SO HAPPY everything turned out ok. Sounds like he bounced back fast.

leah said...

My goodness! I am way behind on my blogs (still on vacation in California). I am glad everything went smoothly- surgery is never easy and it sounds like he came through it with flying colors.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Yea! Good news :0)