Wednesday, November 2, 2011

HaPpY HaLLoWeEn!



the goal was to get Aiden to point at the correct picture or item
as I said the word,
witch or ghost or bat or pumpkin,
to show us he could discriminate between the words,
and associate the word with the correct object.
it was a short seven months into his journey
to hear and speak.
He was 19 months old.

If we were lucky,
and we were,
we'd get a vocal "ee-ee-ee" for the witch
"oooo" for the ghost,
and "pa-pa-pa" for pumpkin.
in fact I remember being
ECSTATIC as he went a step further and called a pumpkin,
 "uH-uN"
it was pure bliss.

Now

two years later,
three and a half years old,
two and a half years into his hearing journey,
he TOLD me he wanted to be a 
"DOST"
for Halloween or a
"DIAHSOAR! ROAR!"
and proceeded to TELL me, every.single.day how a
"Jah-o-laher a face. eyes, nose, mouf"
and when I would ask, 
"What is a JACK-O-LATERN without a face called?"
He would yell, 
"Pumpkin!"
clear as day.
and he's added words like
scarecrow, skeleton, trick-or-treat, Halloween, costume, and scary.


This year on Halloween,
he RAN up to the doors, bag in hand,
and it was HIM I HEARD,
out of all the kids,
"TRIH-A-TREAT! oh, tank you!"

and my heart melted,
each.and.every.time.

HaPpY HaLLoWeEn!








2 comments:

Lone Star Family said...

Is that the same boy?!bye bye baby face,he is so handsome!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Woo-hoo! And oh-my-goodness, he is TOO CUTE :D